If there’s one thing we love about the holidays, it’s the sheer avalanche of sweet treats around every corner. Whether you’re at the family Christmas party, your friend’s Hanukkah potluck, or making your own festive feast, no holiday meal is complete without dessert.
And perhaps the most popular of treats is the simple cookie. From chewy gingerbread to frosted sugar cookies to good old-fashioned chocolate chip cookies, everyone has their favorite that they look forward to each year. Our favorite kind? Any type that has weed in it.
To really bring on the festive cheer, we’re going to show you how to make cannabis-infused holiday cookies that all your friends and family will love—or just make a batch for yourself. We don’t judge.
How do you make cannabis-infused cookies?
Baking cannabis-infused cookies is exactly like making any other cookie except for the addition of one special ingredient: cannabutter. The best thing about making your own THC-infused dessert, is that you can make pretty much any kind you would like. As long as it has butter in the recipe, you can infuse it with weed. Simply mix in a batch of homemade (or store-bought) cannabutter with regular unsalted butter to meet the requirements of the recipe, and there you have it. Weed cookies.
If you’re dairy-free, you can also substitute cannabis-infused coconut oil for the cannabutter in certain cases. Look for a recipe that is specifically suited for vegans, and you’ll find the perfect fit for your dietary sensibilities.
Keep in mind that no matter what kind of dessert you’d like to make, THC starts to degrade at 365℉. Most cookies are baked at 350℉, making them the perfect vessel for cannabis, but it is important to note nonetheless.
Kitchen Sink Cannabis-infused Holiday Cookie Recipe
The recipe we continue to go back to year after year is our Kitchen Sink Holiday Cookie. We love it because it is endlessly adaptable to different tastes and celebrations. You can swap out the chocolate chips, candy, and sprinkles for almost any kind of bite-sized treat you have in the kitchen—hence the name, kitchen sink.
For example, if you’re not a fan of chocolate chips, trade-in white chocolate or caramel chips. Don’t have pretzels in the cupboard? Use crushed-up potato chips instead to add a dash of salty flavor. If you’re going to a Christmas party, use red and green sprinkles or blue and white sprinkles for a Hanukkah celebration. The possibilities are endless with these crowd-pleasing delights.
(Makes about 16 cookies)
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter/cannabutter, softened (ratio depends on the desired dosage)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups AP flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup crushed pretzels (or half potato chips, half pretzels)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or a mixture of Reese’s peanut butter cups and white chocolate chips)
- ½ cup M&Ms (holiday colors if available)
- ¼ cup sprinkles of choice
- ⅓ cup nuts of choice (optional)
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside
- Using a mixer or silicone spatula, in a large bowl, cream together butter, cannabutter, and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 1-3 minutes. Make sure not to overmix!
- Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until together until combined. The dough will be very thick at this point.
- Add in pretzels, chocolate chips, M&Ms, sprinkles, and nuts (if using), or candies of choice and fold together until evenly distributed.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough onto prepared baking sheets and lightly press them down onto baking sheets. Add additional pretzels, chips, candies and sprinkles to tops of cookies to give them a decorative touch if you’d like. Sprinkle each ball of dough with sea salt.
- Bake until edges are just starting to get golden, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 2 to 3 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack to chill completely. Carefully devour immediately or let cool. Enjoy!